Children De Facto Relationships

Children of a de facto relationship

The laws relating to property settlement at the end of a de facto relationship have recently changed. For relationships that have broken down since 1 March 2009, the Family Court now deals with all of the legal aspects of the separation, including any:

Child Support Agreement,

Parenting Plan or

Parenting Order.

Child Support

Child Support can be sought via the Child Support Agency or a Child Support Agreement.

Parenting Orders. may be sought in the Local Court, the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court. The principles that apply to the children of marriages also apply to the children of de facto relationships.

Vanessa Mathews
Managing Director FDRP and Mediator