What happens when parties cannot agree about the division of property?

If negotiations fail and you cannot reach an agreement with your former partner about your property settlement then you will need to file an application for property settlement in the appropriate Court.

There are ongoing opportunities for settlement of the proceedings, even after filing an application with the Court. Most applications are settled by consent and without a decision being made by the Court.

If a settlement is not reached, then the Court will decide how the property should be divided after a hearing which follows the four step process.

Vanessa Mathews