I want to end my relationship but my ex-partner won’t move out of the house that we own. What can I do?

If you fear violence, you should seek advice immediately.

You cannot be forced to leave just because the property is not in your name. If you do have to move out, it will not affect your property entitlement. Your rights continue even if you leave.

Sometimes one party may seek a sole occupancy order which requires the other party to leave. This allows the remaining spouse to live in the house until the property is divided. This order will usually only be made in exceptional situations where there is domestic violence, threats are being made or if the house has been adjusted because somebody has a disability.