child arrangements Contravention Applications

I have an order for the children to spend time with me but my ex-partner won’t let me see them – what can I do?

If the other parent breaches an order affecting your children, you can:

  • use mediation to resolve the problem or
  • apply to the Court that the other party has contravened the parenting order.

The Court takes breaches of its orders very seriously. The breaching parent can:

  • be referred to a parenting program;
  • fined; or
  • made to provide “catch up” time.

The breaching parent may show a reasonable excuse. For example, a very sick child may be considered a legitimate reason.

If the orders breached are no longer workable, the Court may order that both parents attend a parenting program, or adjourn the case to consider varying the orders.