4 Step Property Settlement Process Property Settlements

How do my spouse and I divide property when we get divorced?

The best way to divide property is by coming to an agreement on your own.   Many couples are able to work out an agreement by themselves or with the help of an objective person, like a mediator.  In this way, you control exactly who gets what – the house, cars, furniture, savings accounts, and debts – without a judge intervening.

If you sign an agreement, you can bring it to the court to receive consent orders.   A standard “Application for Consent Orders” must be filled out and signed and then submitted to the court along with the agreement.   Once the court grants the consent orders, the agreement is binding on you and your spouse and has the same legal status as any other order the court gives.

Vanessa Mathews