Child Support Paternity & Child Support

How do I overcome the father dispute parentage?

If the father disputes parentage, the father can be asked to sign a document agreeing he is the father, or to take a parentage test. If the father refuses, it is possible to get a Court Order for parentage testing. The Court cannot physically force parentage testing, but in the absence of test results the Court can make a decision to name the father. These steps can be avoided if there is a ‘presumption of parentage’. It may help to seek legal advice on whether this presumption applies in your situation.

Vanessa Mathews
Managing Director FDRP and Mediator