4 Step Property Settlement Process Divorce Divorce & Parenting Property Settlements

Do I have to be divorced before I can apply to the Court for children’s or property settlement Orders?

No, you do not have to wait to be divorced.

You can apply for Orders concerning your property or children as soon as you separate.

But, when your divorce is granted, you will then have only 12 months to seek property settlement Orders.  After this time you need to apply to the Court for special permission to issue proceedings.