De Facto Relationships Property Settlement Spousal Maintenance Superannuation

Can De Facto Couples Turn to the Courts on Issues of Property, Maintenance and Superannuation?

De facto couples can make their own financial arrangements, like any other legally married couple in Australia, or they can turn to the courts to receive a court order. In order to turn to the courts, the de facto couple must meet one of the following conditions:

  1. The relationship existed for at least two years OR
  2. The couple has a child together OR
  3. One person made significant financial or nonfinancial contributions to the relationship and would be at a disadvantage if no order was granted OR
  4. The relationship was registered